Record in Congress
As a candidate in 2010 for the 3rd Congressional District I campaigned on going to Washington to help get government out of the way so free enterprise can flourish and Coloradans can get back to work, everyday since being elected I have worked to uphold these promises. Here is some of what I did:
- I have introduced legislation to lower the corporate, capital gains, and dividends tax rates to help businesses stay competitive in the global market and bring jobs back to Colorado
- I introduced and passed through committee the Healthy Forest Management Act which focuses on conservation and aims to establish proactive measures by increasing state control over the management decisions of high-risk areas. It would allow local officials to protect their communities and environment with preventative action that limits the spread of future fires by inhibiting contributing factors like bark beetle infestation, severe drought conditions, and unmanaged dense forests.
- I helped put forward legislation to expand access to capital by allowing community banks to increase responsible lending to small businesses—these loans are the life blood of a small business
- One of the few bills signed into law this past year was my Hydropower and Rural Jobs Act! This common sense bill cuts red tape to allow clean, renewable hydropower projects to move forward right here, across our state and get people working.
- We opened up new markets for agriculture producers and created as many as 500 new jobs for rural Colorado by expanding free trade with Colombia, South Korea and Panama.
- Introduced the Energy in Education Act of 2011 that will increase funding for our school children, while creating jobs in Colorado and decreasing our dependence on foreign oil.
- Amended the PIONEERS Act to protect our towns and counties from being negatively impacted by the increased exploration of Colorado’s natural resources. Increasing our domestic energy supply will create jobs for Colorado and decrease our dependence on foreign oil, however it must be done in a responsible way.
» Full list of all sponsored legislation
» Full list of all co-sponsored legislation